Wednesday 4 June 2014

Ten thousand

At what point does one become an expert in their field? Malcom Gladwell's book "Outliers: The story of success",  suggests that the 10 000 hour rule is the key to success. One becomes proficient at a task or skill whether it is hockey, computer programming, music, etc. when vast amounts of time and energy are spent doing it. He suggests that greatness requires an enormous amount of time. Throughout the book, Gladwell discusses how family, culture, and friendship each play a role in an individual's success.

What brings this concept to mind for me this week is my most recent road trip with my 6 month old son. Since he entered this world, our little family has traveled over 10 000 kms by car. I used to love a road trip, but recently I have come to dread them. One needs to consider what time is the optimum time to leave, what snacks and toys will be required for distraction, have I brought enough diapers and bibs. Couldn't 10 000 kms be considered the same as 10 000 hrs? Why haven't we reached the point of greatness in our travel? Why isn't my baby an expert traveler?

I realized how much I depend on the nap to help travel seem bearable. When the first big nap is wasted stuck in traffic in Calgary only 4 blocks from your departure point, you know that the trip is going to be excruciatingly long...for everybody in the car. Our petit hibou was a trooper though.

When will we be able to emulate George Clooney's character in "Up in the Air" where travel is no longer cumbersome and you arrive at your destination calm, cool, and collected?

No comments:

Post a Comment